Overwatch is about to celebrate the Year of the Dog with a new event that will bring a wealth of new cosmetics to players.
Blizzard has launched a strange month-long celebration of the Year of the Rooster in Overwatch, and it looks like it will be a fun time for all. The Lunar New Year event is already live on the game, and it will run until February 17th. If you are unfamiliar with the tradition, the Year of the Rooster is a 12-year cycle in which people in many East Asian and Southeast Asian countries celebrate by giving gifts and sharing blessings.
The Overwatch Lunar New Year event is here and all the skins you’ve been collecting from Year of the Rooster and Year of the Dog could be yours for a limited time. Get enough skins in your inventory and press the button marked “Year of the Dog” to unlock the red and gold skins for all of your favorite Overwatch heroes. You’ll have the option of opening a player stash (rewards) and selecting a skin to equip for each character, but don’t forget to select “Open”. You can also earn new skins by completing the limited time Daily Quests.
It’s the Year of the Dog, and Overwatch’s Lunar New Year event, which runs from February 8 to March 5, is now live.
Over 50 new seasonal cosmetic items are available as part of the event, including legendary skins like as Red Pheonix (Zhu Que) Mercy, Black GTortoise (Xuan Wu) Zarya, White Tiger (Bai Hu) Genji, and Black Lily Widowmaker.
The Capture the Flag game mode returns, albeit with a few tweaks and limitations on specific abilities:
Changes to the Capture the Flag Rules
- Picking up a flag is simple.
- For 5 seconds after being dropped, the flag cannot be picked up.
- It takes 4 seconds to return the flag.
- When you take damage, the return of the flag does not halt.
- The match lasts 8 minutes.
- The flag takes 15 seconds to respawn after scoring.
- Limitations on talents remove the flag (specific hero skills)
Restricted Abilities in Capture the Flag
- Meteor Strike, Seismic Slam, Rising Uppercut, Rocket Punch, Doomfist’s Meteor Strike
- Genji’s Lightning Strike
- Concussive Blast’s recoil, Pharaoh’s Jump Jet (when used on yourself)
- Wraith Form, Reaper’s Shadowstep
- Soldier: The Sprint of 76
- Translocator, Sombra’s Stealth
- Recall, Tracer’s Blink
- Concussion Mine of Junkrat (when used on yourself)
- Cryo-freeze Mei
- Grappling Hook of the Widowmaker
- Boosters of D.Va, Self-Destruct (D.Va will also drop the flag if her mech is destroyed)
- The Charge of Reinhardt
- Primal Rage, Winston’s Jump Pack
- Crossfade’s speed increase, Lucio’s Amp It Up
- Guardian Angel, Mercy’s Valkyrie
- Coalescence, Moira’s Fade
- Transcendence of Zenyatta
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you get Overwatch lunar Skins?
Overwatch Lunar Skins are available for purchase in the Blizzard store.
Can you get Overwatch skins after event?
No, you cannot get Overwatch skins after the event.
How long does the Lunar event last Overwatch?
The Lunar New Year event will last until February 10th.